The Ipswich Crest
Early photographs clearly show the team wore a crest in the 1880s and well into the first decade of the twentieth century. While it is likely this was derived from the Ipswich coat of arms it has not been possible to establish the details.
This crest was worn between 1933 and 1957 although photographic evidence indicates it was absent for at least part of the 1953-54 and 1955-56 seasons.
In 1964, the famous blue and white shirts were replaced with more modern, self-coloured tops (although they would be revived briefly in 1997). The crest worn during this period consisted of the shield at the centre of Ipswich's traditional coat of arms.
In 1972, the crest was redesigned as the result of a competition, won by the Treasurer of the Supporters Club, John Gammage. Each element of the new design was intended to represent the region and featured a "Suffolk Punch", a local breed of heavy horse (although the dainty steed in the original would have been more at home at a Suffolk gymkhana than pulling a plough).
The crest was modified in 1995 after consultation with a Supporters Forum, with the turrets of the Wolsey Gate moved to the top of the crest, the yellow background changed to red, the Suffolk Punch given a more dominant physique and the F.C. expanded to Football Club.
In 2007 the crest was slightly modified and three stars were added, representing the major trophies won by the team.